A message from one of our founders…
This month’s blog is somewhat different to the usual. We asked one of our founders, John Maddy, to share some of the exciting things he has been working on over the last 12 months.
Welcome all! I’m so happy to take the reins for this month’s blog and share with you a snippet of the projects I have been working on over the last year. Like with any growing business, things change, and my role has changed dramatically in the last 14 years since we began.
It seems a long time ago now since Richard and I set off with a dream to drive round the country, picking up all the necessary elements to turn our idea into a reality, and launch in 2008 in the Great Langdale valley (Lake District). This is actually where we got our name from! Langdale is in fact Norse for Long Valley.
In the early days when things were small, we cleaned all the yurt accommodation ourselves. Sometimes with some family members in tow!
The importance of doing things right for our customers and our planet has been at the centre of our decision making throughout our journey. This has helped us evolve into the company we are today.
As you know, we were not one to shout about our environmental commitment. It has always been part of our fabric from the beginning, we were more of a doer than a talker! As our market sector expands at a rapid rate, it is important to know that the company you are staying with feels ethically responsible and is dedicated to making the world a better place.
Here are some of the initiatives I have been working on over the last 12 months:
We were very honoured to be accredited with the Good Business Charter. With more individuals wanting to become aligned with ethically responsible companies, we wanted to make it more official, so you can be safe in the knowledge we are doing things right. We have joined the likes of Deloitte, Aviva and Brompton (bicycles) to name a few on the charter for responsible business. For more information about the Good Business Charter please click here.
We are immensely proud to be a member of 1% for the Planet. This globally recognised platform works to prevent greenwashing, certify reputable giving and provide accountability for environmental action. By supporting Long Valley, you can be safe in the knowledge that you are supporting the planet.
We commit to giving at least 1% of our revenue every year to certified non-profit projects that protect our planet for future generations. This is the right thing to do! To find out more click here.
Our Journey to Net Zero – wanna come too??
We are taking Long Valley Net Zero and our plan is to bring our customers on this journey with us too. Look out in future blogs and newsletters about our community projects which are making a difference.
It was important to us when we were looking at ways to reduce our carbon impact that we didn’t stop within the four walls of our locations. Calculating our customer’s carbon impact travelling to and from our locations seemed like a good place to start.
We analysed a sample of over 9000+ customers over 3 years and across 6 different locations. With our customers creating on average 60tC02e per year with travel to and from our locations, we wanted to try and help reduce this impact wherever we could.
Long Valleys top five tips for minimising your carbon impact with us:
- Use public transport – This is a fantastic way to visit our locations and can be a cheaper alternative for travel if booked in advance also. It is also worth considering the car share schemes that are in place at the train stations within the Lake District to offer a cheaper hybrid option.
- Stay longer – Believe it or not, longer trips reduce your impact when it comes to travel. With 39% of the overall carbon impact of Cumbria coming from travel to and from the county, by staying longer you help to reduce this.
- Car free days – Ditch the car when you’re here! All of our locations offer options for activities locally. You can walk from the door of your yurt out into the beautiful countryside or onto the lakes. Using our Things to do section on the website gives you access to all of our local activities providers and experiences right next door to where you are staying.
- Switch to EV – With a high proportion of vehicle sales now electric, it’s fair to say campsites are far behind. With charging facilities limited, it is something we are now exploring to ensure you stay topped up during your stay. More info coming soon!
- Help us be Net Zero – We are so humble to have had such supportive customers over the years. By staying with us, you can be safe in the knowledge that we are committed to reducing your impact too! This can be from tree planning to peat bog restoration to creating and investing in carbon munching projects. For those who would like to join the fight with us, we will be offering a donation option on our booking pages very soon.
So, it’s fair to say we have been pretty busy in the background this year. I want to personally thank you all for continuing to support us and our journey, sharing your amazing experiences with others and returning to our locations year on year.
See you in the round!